If I told you how much money I see spent between my clients on 411 charges, you’d be shocked! Each time a user calls 411 on their cell phone, it costs $1.99. Somehow, the cost seems to be a little known face among most cell phone users. For companies, this is often looked at as an unavoidable cost, as there’s no way to block people from being able to call 411. In my opinion, nothing is a lost cause. I have to assume that consumers, especially those on a corporate account who don’t see a bill, really have no idea how much money they are wasting. If people knew there was a free and equally simple alternative, I believe they would use it.
Below is all the information you need to know to be able to get access to 411 information just as easily with no cost to your or your employer.
- IF YOU HAVE A SMARTPHONE:
- Android, iPhone and Windows devices all have a built-in assist that can listen to your questions and provide you back an answer. Google Now, Siri and Cortana can be your fastest access to information.
- All smartphone devices have a full web browser built into the phones. Though this browser, you can use Google (or any search engine) to find out the information you need just like you would on a computer.
- There are apps made for all phones that will help you if you do not want to use the browser. YP.com is an app that often comes preloaded on smartphones that can assist.
- IF YOU HAVE A BASIC VOICE DEVICE:
- Google offers a text-based 411 alternatives. Simply text your query to Google SMS (466453) and Google will send you the correct phone number for free.
- If you would rather not use the messaging system to use Google’s alternative, you can also dial 1-800-GOOG-411. Both of these are free and the preferred way to get access to information.
The moral of the story is, let your phone do the work instead of the carrier and you can save money.